[Gdal-dev] Turn off the old-gen Python bindings in trunk

Rob McCulley RMcCulley at county24.com
Tue Oct 9 12:39:30 EDT 2007

>Christopher Barker wrote:
>>> Or will
>>> there still be a need to compile gdal first, install FWTools
>>
>> Frank, are you open to a little re-arranging of FWTools to play
better
>> with a stock python? It would be nice if the above requested simple
>> installer was simply one piece of FWTools.>
>
>Chris,
>
>I don't think it would be prudent to see FWTools as a solution for this
>particular problem.  First, FWTools is bound to the old bindings for
the
>time being (because they are needed by OpenEV).  Second, I'm afraid of
>change
>and complexity and FWTools is already near the bounds of my ability to
>produce
>it as a minor sideline.
>
>I am in favor of us producing an easily and naturally installable
Python
>package for win32 that corresponds with our stable release binaries, as
>long
>as there is someone willing to step up to the plate for that portion of
the
>work.
>
>Best regards,
>--
>---------------------------------------+-------------------------------
---->---
>I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
>warmerdam at pobox.com
>light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
>and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,
http://osgeo.org

If no one more qualified than myself steps forward, I could do this.
I've managed to produce an .exe installation file of the next generation
bindings for both 2.4 and 2.5.  I'm fairly new to building on Windows,
but I've currently got it working.

I'm sure the more I do it, the easier it will get.  I'll try and work on
it a bit today, and see if I can come up with Release based installation
packages for 2.4 and 2.5.  Do you think we need to also have one for
Python 2.3?

Cheers,
Rob McCulley