[Gdal-dev] ng-python build

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 15 18:04:28 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> by subdir of python specified in distutils, I mean whatever distutils
> uses by default but as a subdir of the gdal prefix.  So for the OSX
> framework that ends up being:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages

I can't see that that should ever be the place to put python bindings.

> Actually, it's the --prefix that's putting it in the GDAL prefix.

hmm. My first thought is that the python bindings should ignore
"--prefix". I suppose, if anyone wanted it, you could have a
"--python-prefix", but I think that should really be a distutils option,
not one specific to gdal -- in short: python bindings should be
installed where python bindings belong.

> If
> you want distutils to put it in the default python site-packages (where
> the old bindings are installed, and where setuptools installs it), no
> prefix is needed.

right, but what if you want the gdal libs themselves somewhere other
than standard, but the python bindings installed properly in python.

> I was using a custom Xcode project, despite the framework option below I
> worked out.  I'm hoping to use the framework option in the future (I
> should ;) when some kinks are worked out.

OK. I just ran configure with "--with-macosx-framework", but maybe I'll
wait to let you sort it out, because:

> Fixing that may require more fundamental changes in libtool
> configuration

I know NOTHING about libtool!

> (if even possible), but it would also simplify the
> framework build as a whole.

That would be nice, once it works.

Thanks for all your work on this,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov