[Gdal-dev] ng-python build

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Oct 15 18:55:37 EDT 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

>> Actually, it's the --prefix that's putting it in the GDAL prefix.
>
> hmm. My first thought is that the python bindings should ignore "--
> prefix". I suppose, if anyone wanted it, you could have a "--python-
> prefix", but I think that should really be a distutils option, not
> one specific to gdal -- in short: python bindings should be
> installed where python bindings belong.

This is a different --prefix from the GDAL configure.  This one is
for setup.py, and is set to the same as the GDAL configured prefix.
In swig/python/gnumakefile:

python setup.py install --prefix=$(DESTDIR)$(prefix)

>> I was using a custom Xcode project, despite the framework option
>> below I worked out.  I'm hoping to use the framework option in the
>> future (I should ;) when some kinks are worked out.
>
> OK. I just ran configure with "--with-macosx-framework", but maybe
> I'll wait to let you sort it out, because:

I have a test build online now.  It installs the framework alongside
the 1.4 framework, so it doesn't break existing software.  It doesn't
install the python stuff so you can keep using the old python
bindings, but you can set sys.path to use the new bindings (see the
readme).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy