[Gdal-dev] RPF Write ???

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 16 19:37:42 EDT 2007

Eric Finnen wrote:
> <mailto:gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org>
>
> I apologize ahead of time if this is the incorrect location/board to
> post this question to.
>
> So I have been tasked to convert a whole slew of imagery products (that
> have been clipped and edited from ArcGIS Server) into NITF and RPF
> formats.So ArcGIS Server clips and puts the files into a local folder as
> GeoTiff's.
>
>  While it is clipping I have written a batch file which shells into
> FWTOOLS and does a gdal_translate on all of them into NITF format, and
> it works rather well. FWTools is filling this need quite nicely.
>
>  However I am a bit confused with what the correct approach is to do
> this to an RPF format. And to be honest I don't know if it can be done
> with the OGDI/GDAL/FWTOOLS approach.
>
> I will say while testing I can get it to ingest an RPF (using
> gltp:/rpf/c:/temp/rpf…..) and export a TIF (or whatever format) just
> fine. But is it possible to switch that around?

Eric,

I'm afraid GDAL (and FWTools) cannot produce complex RPF products,
only single NITF files.  You might want to invesgiate OSSIM which I
think has more complete support for RPF products, and includes a
commandline "icp" program that can be used to translate formats.

  http://www.ossim.org/

Good luck,