[Gdal-dev] Problem with gdal_translate

"SAEZ Laurent - CETE Méditerr./DI/ETER" Laurent.Saez at equipement.gouv.fr
Mon Oct 22 04:13:11 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have already explained the problem with gdalwarp using a big ECW (7Go).
I've tried to translate this big ECW to HFA using this command :

"gdal_translate -of HFA -a_srs EPSG:27572 "G:\34-2005-LA2E-C10.ecw" "I:\34-2005-LA2E-C10.img"
Input file size is 280000, 180000
0...10...20...30.ERROR 2: CPLMalloc(): Out of memory allocating 49227500 bytes.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I use FWtools 1.3.9 on XP Pro SP2. The PC is a bi-processor Xeon 3 GHz with 2 Go of RAM. The source ECW file in on an external disk and the output file is on another external disk (the output file is about 147 Go in HFA format).

The problem seems to be on memory allocation with both commands (gdalwarp and gdal_translate).
I wonder if this is a general problem with big files or if this is only with big ECW files.

How can I resolve this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Laurent