[Gdal-dev] Python next-gen bindings enabled in trunk

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Oct 24 12:09:27 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Vincent Schut wrote:
>> My preferences:
>>
>> make: runs setup.py build make install: - runs setup.py install for
>> bindings - separately installs scripts in prefix, alongside the
>> other gdal utilities.
>
> Folks,
>
> This also sounds good to me, though I'd be ok with installing by
> default in the Python tree as long as there is an easy way (driven by
>  configure) to place stuff elsewhere.  Something like we do now with
> --with-pymod-dir.

Folks,

I concur Frank's suggestion.
Personally, I prefer to not to mess standard prefix locations
with any files during process of development (building, testing,
fixing). Ideally, I'd like to be able to use python bindings *without*
necessity of running any install steps, as it is possible with old-gen
python, though AFAIK it's not easy or even feasible with the new bindings.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net