[Gdal-dev] Motion: To remove sfcom_oledb to /spike

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 14 16:34:03 EDT 2007

Motion: To move gdal/ogr/sfcom_oledb and and the OLEDB client files in
gdal/ogr (sfc*.cpp/h, etc) into an ole_db area on /spike.

Rationale:
1) The sfcom_oledb tree contains several licensing issues detailed in
ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1817
2) The sfcom_oledb and related client components (sfc*) are not well
documented, supported, nor are they significantly used (possibly not at all).
3) The components are really layered components on top of OGR and need not
be built with GDAL/OGR.

The downside is that in /spike they are likely to be even more neglected,
and won't be "rev'ed" when we release and branch GDAL/OGR.

I decided to make this a formal motion since there was some concern when I
raised the topic originally.  Moving to /spike is intended to mark the code
as unsupported and non-vetted (from a licensing point of view) while keeping
it under source control, and available for use by anyone requiring the
functionality.  It could migrate back into the GDAL/OGR tree in the future if
there is sufficient interest and support.