[Gdal-dev] Trying the python bindings in windows

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sat Sep 22 02:22:09 EDT 2007

Christopher Barker kirjoitti:
> Ari Jolma wrote:
>> Thanks, then I just copied the files from build\lib.win32-2.5 to
>> c:\python25\lib\site-packages and it seems to work.
>
> The "proper" way to do that is:
>
> python setup.py install
>
> In this case, it may amount to the same thing, but for some packages,
> the install process can involve a bit more (if nothing else, it
> usually, pre-compiles all the python code).

I guessed that and tried it:

c:\dev\gdal\swig\python>python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

i.e., it ends in the same error as with build but giving -c mingw32 does
not help here and the files are not really installed.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka / Geoinformation and positioning