[gdal-dev] OGR Feature Style Specification

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Thu Apr 17 09:03:28 EDT 2008

Ari,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:26:32AM +0300, Ari Jolma wrote:
> As discussed in the OSGeo-Discuss list, there might be an interest,
> need, etc. to rethink feature styles. My suggestion would be to look
> into the SVG specification and refer to it as much as possible. Also
> something meta to that would be useful, i.e., saying that this feature
> is to be rendered using this symbol, and the symbol would be presented
> as a SVG snippet. I'd also like to render raster cells using symbols,
> the best known example being perhaps the flow direction arrow of
> raster DEMs.

I am the one who like to see more powerful and flexible style
implementation in OGR. OGC adopted the style specification not that long
ago:

 http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/symbol

and it is quite suitable for my needs at the moment. Also I do not think
that the old OFS spec and implementation should be obsoleted in any way,
these two can co-exist together. It can be done just like the coordinate
system support: internal style handling model (based on OGC spec) and
number of import/export functions for particular style formats. Old
style will be one of the possible formats. The old API remains untouched
and complemented of the new style handling API, I am sure we can do that
without sacrificing backward compatibility.

I think we should go with the OGC specification, because I do not see
how pure SVG styles will suite our needs (needs of geography mapping).

The only question remains: who has enough time and manpower to do this
work?

Best regards,
Andrey

--