[gdal-dev] MapServer's image quality stinks serving up these NOAA NRCs

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 21 12:40:01 EDT 2008

Vincent Schut wrote:
> but my first guess
> would be: don't use palette images, use rgb or rgba.

Yes, I think this is the issue too. If you re-scale or warp or
interpolate palleted images, GDAL uses nearest neighbor interpolation,
which gets pretty ugly with images like the RNCs.

> You can control
> this with a mapserver output file format parameter,

I don't know what your rendering stack looks like, but it may not be
that simple. What you need to do is make sure that the RNCs are
converted to RBG BEFORE they are altered in any other way -- then all
warping, re-scaling, etc can be done with a better interpolation scheme.
I suspect you'll need to convert them, store them on disk that way, so
that what MapServer is seeing is the RGB versions.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov