[gdal-dev] MapServer's image quality stinks serving up these NOAA NRCs

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Tue Apr 22 04:56:48 EDT 2008

Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> Vincent Schut wrote:
>>  >> * Color depth: gdalwarp on the KAPs generates 8-bit palleted
>> TIFFs.  >> That may not be the best for quality.
>> ^^This point might be your main issue.
>
> Right, but HOW do I change it? Converting KAP to TIFF is done with
> gdalwarp. Is there a command-line flag I give gdalwarp to specify
> conversion to RGB? I'm handy with ImageMagick, but that doesn't read
> KAPs, so a solution within GDAL would be nice.

I think you can use gdal's pct2rgb.py utility for that. Probably it will
ingest any file that gdal supports, so if gdalwarp supports KAP, pct2rgb
  will also read those. pct2rgb.py comes with standard gdal, but as it
is python I guess you must have python bindings enabled when building gdal.
See http://www.gdal.org/pct2rgb.html