[gdal-dev] Metadata supported by NITF Driver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 15:22:25 EDT 2008

Visser, John B. wrote:
> Experimenting with GDALINFO, I've discovered that I can extract the
> annotations through the "CGM" domain and the TREs through the "TRE"
> domain.  Are there other metadata domains supported by the NITF driver?
> Is there some way to explore the available domains?  (If not, that would
> be a useful feature, I think.)

John,

Generally speaking the driver documents are the place to find out details
like this:

   http://www.gdal.org/frmt_nitf.html
   http://www.gdal.org/frmt_nitf_advanced.html

Of note, there is also support for capturing text segements which
are encoded in the TEXT metadata domain.  It is also possible to grep
on "Metadata" in the source code for the driver in question to get a sense
of any that weren't documented.  When I do that I notice that RPCs are
also returned in the RPC domain, and ICHIP data in main metadata domain.

> Finally, I notice the NITF file header is broken up into name/value
> pairs, but is there some way to access it directly in its non-broken up
> state?

Well, you can open the file yourself.  GDAL does not try and present the
raw header data through metadata.