[gdal-dev] GDALDataset limits?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 1 09:56:03 EDT 2008

Patrick Cannon wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Is there a limit to the number of GDALDatasets that can be open at one time?
>
> My program is set to automatically open raster images from a database.
> There are over 2254 charts in the database.  Each record has the path to
> the actual file on disk.
>
> In auto mode it gets to around 1004 or so files and then GDAL starts
> returning "file not found" errors.

Patrick,

My first guess would be a file handle limit, as others have mentioned.

 > If I manually open the files it says can not be found, it opens them
 > without issue.

I'm afraid I don't understand this.  The "says it can not be found"
and "opens them without issue" parts of this sentance seem to conflict.

 > So the file is available on
> disk.  Also, if I change the sort on the database so it loads from the
> bottom it has no problem opening the files in auto mode.

You are saying that you can open at 2254 charts fine if you open them in
a different order than the default?  That is odd behavior!

At this point I'd normally try running in the debugger to track down
the failure, and/or running things under something like valgrind.