[gdal-dev] Passing information between drivers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 19 13:18:59 EDT 2008

Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on some drivers that contain extra metadata, which I would
> need to pass on to the new files created when running, for example,
> gdalwarp, if the output driver supports it.
>
> In particular, the drivers do import and export satellite images, and
> the output image of gdalwarp would need to carry, if possible, extra
> metadata such as the sensor model or the channel number, from the input
> image.
>
> Is the output driver given a chance to query the input driver, or can it
> only rely on the limited set of information it gets via Set* methods?

Enrico,

Unfortunately, in gdalwarp only explicitly passed information gets to the
output driver.   Currently there is no way to get metadata such as what you
describe from the source to the destination file.

Potentially we could change the behavior of gdalwarp to copy the primary
domain metadata when it is creating a new file from a single input file.
I'm not sure if there are likely to be downsides to this.