[Gdal-dev] GTiff / gdal_translate / CMYK - problem

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Wed Aug 20 05:46:06 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm having troubles with gdal_translate while creating uncompressed 3-band
GTiff with CMYK photometric representation. Well, at least CMYK
representation recognized by Photoshop, which is
PhotometricInterpretation=5. If I use recommended gdal_translate -co
'PHOTOMETRIC=CMYK' switch I keep getting "grayscale" (!) result, again,
that's what Photoshop says (PhotometricInterpretation=1).

What other -co parameters should I set to make it work? I'm using
gdal_translate from FWTools 2.2.3

Here's the gdalinfo reports:

1) For RGB raster parsed with gdal_translate -co 'PHOTOMETRIC=CMYK'
 switch:

Size is 945, 945
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  AREA_OR_POINT=Area
  TIFFTAG_SOFTWARE=MyApp
  TIFFTAG_DATETIME=20.08.2008 02:51:37
  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=240
  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=240
  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)
Image Structure Metadata:
  INTERLEAVE=PIXEL
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  945.0)
Upper Right (  945.0,    0.0)
Lower Right (  945.0,  945.0)
Center      (  472.5,  472.5)
Band 1 Block=945x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Gray
Band 2 Block=945x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
Band 3 Block=945x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined

Side note: I also tried using -co 'PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR' and
'PHOTOMETRIC=CIELAB'switches but then gdal_translate crashes.

2) Photoshopped tiff with CMYK mode set (that's what I need to get):

Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: 080417_75008_000000017_CMYK.tif
Size is 945, 945
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  TIFFTAG_SOFTWARE=Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
  TIFFTAG_DATETIME=2008:08:20 02:21:08
  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=240
  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=240
  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)
Image Structure Metadata:
  INTERLEAVE=PIXEL
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  945.0)
Upper Right (  945.0,    0.0)
Lower Right (  945.0,  945.0)
Center      (  472.5,  472.5)
Band 1 Block=945x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
Band 2 Block=945x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
Band 3 Block=945x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
Band 4 Block=945x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined

Also, there's another Photoshop's TIFF tag, "NativeDigest", which I don't
really get (it's not recognized by gdalinfo) - here's the xmp output:
<tiff:NativeDigest
xmlns:tiff="http://ns.adobe.com/tiff/1.0/">256,257,258,259,262,274,277,284,530,531,282,283,296,301,318,319,529,532,306,270,271,272,305,315,33432;46BB973B26CC7DED3A1C59F8F9AC7EC5</tiff:NativeDigest>

Regards,
Maksim Sestic