[gdal-dev] File too large?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Dec 5 14:26:38 EST 2008

Agustin,

I think you need to upgrade to GDAL 1.5.3 because you're probably hitting the
following issue : http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2437

As FWTools Linux 2.0.6 was released in February 2008 and the ticket solved in
June, it is not recent enough. The relatively bad news for you is that the
production of newer releases of FWTools Linux is currently discontinued. So
for the moment, you have to compile GDAL from source by yourself.

I don't think that Ubuntu or most Linux distributions will provide some day
support out of the box for MrSID and ECW because of the licencing issues.

Another way is to use FWTools for Windows under Wine. Download the installer,
execute wine on it. Once installed, cd to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program
Files/FWTools2.2.8 for example.
Due to a imperfect simulation of DOS shell by wine, you just have to make a
minor modification to bin/setfwenv.bat to add "set " at the beginning of the
line PATH=%FWTOOLS_DIR%\bin;%FWTOOLS_DIR%\python;%PATH%.
Then launch "wine cmd.exe" and then type "setfw.bat", and GDAL command line
utilities should work. That way you get MrSID and ECW support...

Best regards,
Even