[Gdal-dev] GDAL + ECW writing doesn't work on PPC Mac OSX tiger (10.4)

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Dec 11 16:32:42 EST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 3:15 PM, pbrosson wrote:

> PowerMac G4, Mac OSX 10.4.11, tiger
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0
>
> My objective is to  convert maps into ECW format (for personal use).
>
> i have build and install  ECW SDK , and then built and install
> sucessfully
> GDAL 1.6.0. Many thanks to the developers of GDAL and ECW.
> However gdal_translate  to ECW format gives an error. (i get "Trace/
> BPT
> trap" error  message).
>
> To build GDAL with ECW writing, which arguments are required for
> configure?
>
> Details of the build and test:
>
> Hardware and system (PPC Mac OSX Tiger):

> runing gdal_translate from GTiff to ECW:
> pmg4:~/Desktop/GDAL_conversion_folder/sample_geotiff pb$ \
> gdal_translate --debug ON   -of ECW -co "DATUM=WGS84" -co
> "PROJ=NUTM10"
> sampleGTiff.GTiff    sample.ECW
> GDAL: GDALOpen(sampleGTiff.GTiff, this=0x710a4f0) succeeds as GTiff.
> Input file size is 655, 655
> 0ECW: Writing with PROJ=NUTM10, DATUM=WGS84
> Trace/BPT trap
> pmg4:~/Desktop/GDAL_conversion_folder/sample_geotiff pb$
>
> same behaviour with Tiff or JPEG conversion to ECW
> However, gdal_translate from ECW to JPEG is OK:
>
> pmg4:~/Desktop/GDAL_conversion_folder/sample_geotiff pb$ \
> gdal_translate -of JPEG COR.ecw COR_ecw.JPEG
> Input file size is 980, 1930
> 0...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90...100 - done.
> pmg4:~/Desktop/GDAL_conversion_folder/sample_geotiff pb$

ECW has problems with OSX.  Read works.  Write does not.  Though
ECWJP2 does work both read/write (a recent development).  To get that
far with either ECW or JP2 I had to do a bit of hacking.  Find all the
details on my site.  or...

My current ECW plugin for my GDAL framework only supports ECW read.
ECWJP2 r/w is coming very soon, when I get GDAL 1.6 packaged.

I'm not enough of a C++ programmer to figure out ECW write in an
efficient way.  But once I get GDAL 1.6 out, I'll look into it with my
brute strength, hack-n-slash debugging (that's how I eventually got
ECWJP2 working).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy