[Gdal-dev] GDAL + ECW writing doesn't work on PPC Mac OSX tiger (10.4)

philippe brosson pbrosson2006 at free.fr
Thu Dec 11 21:43:27 EST 2008

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2008, at 3:15 PM, pbrosson wrote:
>

> ECW has problems with OSX.  Read works.  Write does not.  Though
> ECWJP2 does work both read/write (a recent development).  To get that
> far with either ECW or JP2 I had to do a bit of hacking.  Find all the
> details on my site.  or...
>
> My current ECW plugin for my GDAL framework only supports ECW read.
> ECWJP2 r/w is coming very soon, when I get GDAL 1.6 packaged.
>
> I'm not enough of a C++ programmer to figure out ECW write in an
> efficient way.  But once I get GDAL 1.6 out, I'll look into it with my
> brute strength, hack-n-slash debugging (that's how I eventually got
> ECWJP2 working).
>
> -----

when i configure GDAL like this:
./configure  --prefix=/usr/pkg
--with-libgrass=/usr/pkg  \
--with-tiff=internal  \
--with-gif=internal  \
--with-png=internal  \
--with-jpeg=internal  \
--with-libz=internal  \
--without-netcdf  \
--without-jasper  \
--without-python \
--with-ecw=/usr/pkg

building GDAL+ECW is OK  but i obtain this:

pmg4:~/Desktop/GDAL_conversion_folder/sample_geotiff pb$ \
gdal_translate --debug ON   -of ECW -co "TARGET=90" -co "DATUM=WGS84" -co
"PROJ=NUTM10"  sample_geotiff_bigEndian.tif   sample.ECW
GDAL: GDALOpen(sample_geotiff_bigEndian.tif, this=0x5a09de0) succeeds as
GTiff.
Input file size is 655, 655
ERROR 1: libgrass: MAPSET is not set
Abort trap
pmg4:~/Desktop/GDAL_conversion_folder/sample_geotiff pb$