[gdal-dev] Porting GDAL to Symbian OS

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 06:43:13 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm leading a project to port the Bluemapia mobile client to Symbian OS.  Bluemapia uses GDAL, so as part of the project we will also be porting GDAL.

In case you didn't already know, you can (mostly) use standard C/C++ on Symbian OS these days and Qt is also being ported (which we will use for the Bluemapia UI).  With an increasingly Linux/Unix like user-space environment and new devices like the recently announced Nokia N97 on the way, I think that Symbian is an ideal platform for open source mobile GIS applications.

Any advice on porting GDAL would be very much appreciated.

Initially we'll only port a small subset of the GDAL drivers, but if anyone is interested in using this port and needs support for specific drivers then please get in touch.

If anyone would like to get involved then you'd be very, very welcome!  I'm also planning a "code camp" or mini-sprint to get the project started in London on Saturday 17th January.  If you would like to attend then please email me before 6th January.

Links for the interested:
Project announcement blog post (with many further links):
http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/mark-wilcoxs-forum-nokia-blog/2008/12/17/qt-on-s60-open-source-project-bluemapia
Bluemapia:
http://www.bluemapia.com
Nokia N97: