[gdal-dev] Config, static-proj, and bug 1345...

Rick Brownrigg brownrigg at sunflower.com
Mon Feb 4 13:53:32 EST 2008

Bug 1345 was filed about a year ago, referring to an issue when the
configuration parameter "--with-static-proj4" is used *and* the PROJ
library is in a non-standard place. In this case, the LIB macro in the
generated GDALmake.opt file has a directive of "-L/path/to/proj/src",
rather than "-L/path/to/proj/lib", and the build fails at link time.

The bug was closed, stating that the config logic attempts to deal with
cases when linking against the PROJ build tree (as opposed to the
install tree).   I don't know about linking against PROJ's build tree,
but the logic does indeed fail when PROJ is installed somewhere else,
with the precise behavior described by this bug.  I believe this bug is
thus still valid, as it is conceivable PROJ may be installed at any
arbitrary place (and indeed, consider MacOS X and the macports
conventions for installation as an example).

Anybody concur/disagree?  I wish I could propose a solution, but I do
not understand the various cases the logic in configure.in attempt to
address (see configure.in, lines 1824-1895 in gdal1.5.0)

Rick Brownrigg