[gdal-dev] Config, static-proj, and bug 1345...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 4 14:50:05 EST 2008

Rick Brownrigg wrote:
> Bug 1345 was filed about a year ago, referring to an issue when the
> configuration parameter "--with-static-proj4" is used *and* the PROJ
> library is in a non-standard place. In this case, the LIB macro in the
> generated GDALmake.opt file has a directive of "-L/path/to/proj/src",
> rather than "-L/path/to/proj/lib", and the build fails at link time.
>
> The bug was closed, stating that the config logic attempts to deal with
> cases when linking against the PROJ build tree (as opposed to the
> install tree).   I don't know about linking against PROJ's build tree,
> but the logic does indeed fail when PROJ is installed somewhere else,
> with the precise behavior described by this bug.  I believe this bug is
> thus still valid, as it is conceivable PROJ may be installed at any
> arbitrary place (and indeed, consider MacOS X and the macports
> conventions for installation as an example).
>
> Anybody concur/disagree?  I wish I could propose a solution, but I do
> not understand the various cases the logic in configure.in attempt to
> address (see configure.in, lines 1824-1895 in gdal1.5.0)

Rick,

I have reviewed the configure logic and it still seems reasonably
sound. One thing I notice is that if *none* of the probes work the
build tree targetted configuration will get used instead of the more
reasonable install tree configuration.  But still, if this case kicks
in it means none of the link probes worked.

You are welcome to reopen the bug report, and document there why you think
it is broken.  But you will need to be quite specific, and you likely ought
to carefully review your config.log file for what happened in the proj
related probes.

PS. folks - the direct ticket link is:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1345