[gdal-dev] Output format in using gdal_translate

Limei Ran lran at unc.edu
Mon Feb 18 11:29:37 EST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for all your help on using gdal_translate.  I was successful on
creating a huge image with -of HFA.  I still have two questions about
raster formats used in GDAL:

1. The utility created three output files:
out.ige, out.img, out.img.aux.xml.  What is .ige file (it is a huge
file --  close to 12gb) since my input has only two files with .img and
.rrd?

2. I am creating a raster file for some calculation.  So, formats do
not matter as long as it is efficient in storing and accessing. Is any
GDAL raster format with no Limit Size (such as ESRI .hdr Labelled)
better than HFA format in storing and accessing?

Thanks,

Limei

Quoting estrada.adam: