R: [gdal-dev] GDAL & Python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 26 17:59:05 EST 2008

Marco Pasetti wrote:
> Python setup.py -c mingw32 build
> Python -c mingw32 setup.py build
> Python "-c mingw32" setup.py build
>
> And so on.... But nothing!

SOMETHING must have happened? what errors, etc did you get? (that first
one should be the right one.

Here is a page about building Python extensions on windows with Mingw:

http://boodebr.org/main/python/build-windows-extensions

In there, he suggests:

You now have to tell Python to use the Cygwin/MinGW compiler when
building extensions. To do this, create a file:

  c:\py25\lib\distutils\distutils.cfg:

in it, put:

[build]
compiler = mingw32

Then setup.py build should default to using mingw32

> I'll build GDAL without python bindings... I have no such time to compile
> also python with MinGW!

Being a python fan, I'd like to help with that, but I can't seem to get
GDAL to build at all with mingw and msys. How did you do that? If I can
get GDAL to build, I'll figure out how to get the python extensions to
build.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov