[gdal-dev] more OGR problems

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Mon Jan 7 15:28:22 EST 2008

I am trying several different things to get my application to read data
from an Oracle Spatial table and still can not come up with a solid
solution.

I have tried ODBC but can not get it to connect to the table.  My
application usually hangs on the ogr.open() statement.  I have tried
"ODBC:username/password at instanceName", but I get an error that the
driver is not specified.  I have also tried "ODBC:{Microsoft ODBC for
Oracle};Server=instance;UID=userName;PWD=password;". This one hangs as
does any others when I specify a driver.

I have tried OCI and can get connected but it only shows a few tables in
the whole database.  It only shows those with SDO metadata set.

I can retrieve data from the table with the exception of date values.  I
can use the DateTime field in the query itself and it seems to work ok
but I can not return the actual date.

I can get the index to the "SHAPE" and IsFieldSet returns true but
geometry = feature.GetGeometryDef() always returns NULL.

I can connect using the SDE driver but I get an odd error when I issue
the same SQL that works with the OCI driver.  The error is "Could not
execute SQL statement\nSQL: Syntax error, 14 extra tokens".  When I use
the SDE driver I see all of the tables and all of the fields in the
tables.

For some reason I can not use the debugger to step into any of the GDAL
/ OGR code.  I don't know if it is because of the managed vs. unmanaged
code since my app is written in C# or if it is the SWIG bindings.
Either way I am flying blind.

I keep hoping if that someone out there has run across some of these
problems and can give me a clue or something to try.  I would like to
ditch C# but that is not an option at this point.

Bruce