[gdal-dev] Issues with Java Bindings in 1.5 ...

Rick Brownrigg brownrigg at sunflower.com
Mon Jan 14 13:55:25 EST 2008

I have spent some time investigating the build issues for the Java
bindings in 1.5, and for the most part there are a couple of nearly
trivial fixes to the Makefile and the environment settings that are
required. However, the most troublesome issue seems to be a swig
type-mapping issue, which at present I do not know how to correct. It
centers upon the gdal type ColorEntry, which is mapped in
...../swig/include/gdal.i    For reasons I don't understand, the
generated file ..../swig/java/org/gdal/gdal/ColorEntry.java tries to
pass arguments of type long (a pointer presumably) to the various native
settors/gettors implemented in gdalJNI.java (also a generated file),
which is expecting java.awt.Color objects instead. Hence the code will
not compile.  I don't understand the source of the mismatch,
particularly as these two files are generated by swig.

Note that this mismatch was present in 1.4.x, but was masked by a #ifdef
SWIGCSHARP directive around the mapping in gdal.i.  (and thus there was
no Java proxy for the gdal type ColorEntry in 1.4.x (?)).

I had indicated I would volunteer to support the Java bindings, but with
this experience, I am now not confident  that I can do so in a timely
fashion.

FWIW...
Rick Brownrigg