[gdal-dev] tiff format: compression vs. performance

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jan 15 08:26:52 EST 2008

Hello,

I am wondering whether there is a webpage with some tips/hints on what is
the best compression method within the tiff file format when performance
is also an issue. My data is primarily read only, but reading should be
fast. I heard that storing the tiff files as uncompressed is often still
the fastest. Is this still the case? Are there recommended compression
methods that are both fast (and allow random access to a big tiff file)
and also creates smaller file sizes? I am looking at lossless compression
methods, so jpeg is not an option.

Thanks for hints (or links to a webpage discussing this issue).

Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland