[gdal-dev] ogr2gui - project development

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Jul 19 13:15:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

nice idea.

I'm a Linux guy and I tried to compiled it on my Ubuntu 7.10 box. I didn't
manage to compile it with wx2.8 (I'm not familiar at all with building with
wxwidget)

I tried :
g++ App.cpp Dnd.cpp
Frm.cpp -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -I/usr/lib/wx/include/base-unicode-release-2.8
`gdal-config --cflags` `gdal-config --libs` -o ogr2gui

but I get errors because DND is not defined.
In /usr/lib/wx/include/base-unicode-release-2.8/wx/setup.h
#define wxUSE_DRAG_AND_DROP 0

I tried then to disable Dnd.cpp, but I get other errors about wxFrame.

If it was me, I would have chose GTK instead of wxwidgets (I'm a GTK
lover ;-))

I've looked a bit at the source code.
A few remarks :
* I've the feeling that you're not launching ogr2ogr executable, but using OGR
API instead. Right ? I'm a bit confused since there's a function that formats
a string with ogr2ogr.exe in it
* you should maybe consider using the C API instead of the C++ API to be able
not to depend too much of the version of OGR.

As far as features as concerned, I think that looking at all the options of
ogr2ogr is a good start : SQL request, bounding box, choice of the layer(s)
to translate, etc etc...
For output formats, you could propose the various dataset creation options
For database formats, you could propose the various fields that help people
create the connection string. For example, for postgres, the database name,
user name, password, etc etc...

On the screenshot, I see that there are checkboxes for append, update,
overwrite. Some (all ?) of them are exclusive, so maybe radiobuttons would be
more appropriate.
The "Projection" label shoud probably by renamed to "Target projection" if it
is the case. Showing the source projection could also be usefull. If no
source projection is defined, then it should be defined.

Adding a LICENCE file in the tar.gz would be good too. I had to dig into the
source to see that it's GPL

Well, I think that's enough for a Father Christmas Letter ;-)

Best regards