[gdal-dev] OT: subversion configuration

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Jul 24 12:56:05 EDT 2008

Ari Jolma wrote:
> I'm annoyed because I can't configure subversion properly for my local
> copy of GDAL repository.
>
> I want to keep all files locally LF also in Windows. I've set
>
> [auto-props]
> *.* = svn:eol-style=LF
>
> in svn config. However, when I commit, the file is converted into CRLF
> and also when I update, the files are CRLF.
>
> Any help appreciated,

Ari,

Your configuration file is OK.
The problem is that auto-props are set on files only while adding or
importing new file.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07.html

"The auto-props section controls the Subversion client's ability to
automatically set properties on files when they are added or imported."

And then, Subversion uses these settings during further processing of
that file, ie. during commit.

In other words, if svn:eol-style was not set to LF for all .c, .cpp and
.h files while they were being imported to the SVN, then the eol-style
is by default set to native.

Run this command and you will see that all C/C++ header files have
svn:eol-style set to native:

$ find . -name '*.h' | xargs svn propget svn:eol-style | grep LF

Now, if we want to change it to LF, we have to issue svn propset

svn propset -R svn:eol-style LF *.cpp
svn propset -R svn:eol-style LF *.c
svn propset -R svn:eol-style LF *.h

or svn propedit command: