[gdal-dev] Tiled vs Stripped TIFs, how many overviews and why (wirh gdaladdo)?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jul 31 18:15:01 EDT 2008

There has been a lot of discussion lately about using
gdal_translate/gdalwarp with or without the "-co TILED=YES" option,
about overviews and more. How can I determine what is best for my 300
photos? I want faster loading and as less disk usage as possible... what
everybody wants :-)

1. What is the purpose of TILED images? And what of stripped? What and
when is best?

2. If overviews make zooming (panning?) faster, how many overviews
should I add? Why only "gdaladdo -r neatest some.tif 2 4 6 8 16" and not
"[...] 2 4 6 8 16 32 64 256"

Should all those be tested and empirically decide what is fast/small
enough?

Thank you, Nikos