[Gdal-dev] gdal_grid: Comments from a new player

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Mon Jun 2 07:07:42 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 04:43:13PM -0700, Fodder wrote:
> Just a few things I've noticed since I've been playing around with
> gdal_grid (I'm using the vrt/csv driver):
>
>    - With the EHdr output format, it seem to be necessary to switch
>    the YMin & YMax around in the -tye parameter. The YMin value seems
>    to be used for the ULYMap tag in the .hdr file. Is this a bug?

I will take a look at that.

>    - A lat/long WGS projection reference seems to be added to the grid
>    if no projection string is passed. I would have thought that a
>    blank projection or non-earth projection would be better.

Yes, that is a bug. I will fix it.

> Finally, a question, to integrate this with a windows app, how do I
> know when gdal_grid is finished? Can I test for the existance of the
> output file with certain permissions or could this lead me astray?

Note, there is a C API for gridding:

 http://www.gdal.org/gdal__alg_8h.html#1fdef40bcdbc98eff2328b0d093d3a22

gdal_grid is just a wrapper around the GDALGridCreate() function. It is
better to use the C API directly in the custom applications.
(Unfortunately we don't have a wrapper for other languages yet).

Best regards,
Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev