[gdal-dev] Ubuntu, gdal & ecw's >2gb on IA32

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 21 11:00:39 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 08:44 -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> How exactly does it fail? I just did a gdalinfo on a ~4GB ecw on
> >> Ubuntu 8.04 w/ FW Tools 2.0.6 w/o a problem.
> > $ gdalinfo testfile_large.ecw
> > ERROR 4: `testfile_large.ecw' not recognised as a supported file format.
> >
> > gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'testfile_large.ecw'.
> >
> > Strange that it works for you and not me.  I've got this happening on
> > two different systems- one a vmware guest, on on bare metal. Not sure
> > what's going on.  Are you on a 32 or 64 bit cpu?
>
> Doing gdalinfo on a mounted Samba filesystem on a ~4GB ecw file works,
> however, when I copy the same file to the local HD I get:
>
> $ gdalinfo _2006_Aerial_Photography.ecw
> ERROR 4: `_2006_Aerial_Photography.ecw' not recognised as a supported
> file format.
>
> gdalinfo failed - unable to open '_2006_Aerial_Photography.ecw'.

*me scratches head* and not for the first time.  I wasn't expecting that
to make a difference.  No idea what to make of it.  Just to make sure
I've got it right, the samba share was being served from a mac was it?
And you were running gdalinfo from ubuntu 8.04?  or the other way
around?

Regards,
Tim Bowden