[gdal-dev] Ubuntu, gdal & ecw's >2gb on IA32

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 21 11:28:56 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:09 -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > *me scratches head* and not for the first time.  I wasn't expecting that
> > to make a difference.  No idea what to make of it.  Just to make sure
> > I've got it right, the samba share was being served from a mac was it?
> > And you were running gdalinfo from ubuntu 8.04?  or the other way
> > around?
>
> I'm running 32 bit Ubuntu Hardy 8.04. I had a Windows XP NTFS drive
> mounted via Samba and gdalinfo was fine. Copied the same file to the
> local ext3 partition and got the error. I'll be trying the same file
> on a Slackware server in the next couple days.

Ah, perhaps it's worth trying on a non ext3 filesystem.  Not sure how it
would make a difference, but I've got no other ideas.

> Obviously a work around is to split the ecw file into tiles.

Ugly solution for me.  I've got (client rather) abt 350gb+ of ecw's
mostly over 2gb each being served up by mapserver that will be updated
every three months .  Hate to have to automate that in a failsafe way.

Tim

--
vim is a good example of an IDE done properly.  emacs is an example of
an IDE done poorly.  Anything that involves little pictures is a