[gdal-dev] gdal_merge segfaults

Peter Vogt peter.vogt at jrc.it
Wed May 14 17:33:54 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have gdal-1.5.1 installed from rpm in PCLinuxOS and things work ok
besides that when trying to merge 3 files (part1/2/3.tif) with :
gdal_merge.py -v -o test.tif part*.tif
gdal_merge.py starts fine but then segfaults after the first image.
I tested the same files & command on a RedHat 5 machine where gdal1.5.1
was installed from source and there everything worked fine.
I finally managed to get a gdal1.5.1 source install up on my PCLOS
machine but still had the same segfault for gdal_merge.py. After some
search in Google I now suspect that this is related to the Python
distribution which in RedHat is version 2.3.4 and in PCLOS is 2.4.3. A
Python update to 2.4.5 did not change anything.
I finally ended up installing FWTools which compiles its own
gdal_merge.py. The one in FWTools works fine and uses its own Python
environment of version 2.2.
So in short I have for gdal_merge.py
- Python 2.3.4 or Python 2.2 (FWTools) works perfectly fine
- Python 2.4.3 or higher works but then segfaults

Can you give me any hint to find the source of the problem?

-peter