[gdal-dev] GMT driver for Ogr2Ogr

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Fri May 16 13:44:53 EDT 2008

Foreword:
If all this  below is just admin mumbo-jumbo to you, and you really-really
want just an 1.5 ogr2ogr that works on 64bit hardy, use the following
repository line in your sources list  (it's a private repository of mine, so
it goes with large "I'm not to be held responsible to whatever these packages
do to anybody/anything, including but not limited to you, your business,
family and pets", "it might not be there tomorrow" and "don't ask me about
it" signs).

deb http://svn.atombiztos.hu hardy main

and then just do an 'apt-get install gdal-bin'. For those who are interested
in 'the right way':

On Friday 09 May 2008 10:13:24 timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de wrote:
> 1) grab the files from Debian archives

That is almost impossible lately due to all the mapserver-gdal
interdepencies... It's generally a bad idea to put in straight Debian
packages into ubuntu, they have diverged quite a bit :(

> 3) use FWTools (http://fwtools.maptools.org/) for Linux in the mean time

This is easy to do, but ugly and hard to administrate later on, lots of
potential for orphaned libs and executables.

> 2) compile yourself with checkinstall

There is a 2a) option that I usually apply in this type of situation, and that
is pbuilder. I generally have installing millions of -dev packages when I
really only need one binary package.

You download the .dsc, the .tar.gz and .diff.gz files of the given package (or
do 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -S' in the debianized gdal source directory
if you don't have the dsc/diff files). You will need devscripts, debootstrap
and debhelper for this (maybe one or two more packages I can't remember off
the top of my head).

You do 'pbuilder --create' to create the environment, this can take a while.

Finally, 'pbuilder --build gdal-*.dsc' to watch the build process go through
and get a nice .deb for your machine. After that you can delete
the /var/cache/pbuilder dirs and retain a nice and clean ubuntu system and
you and up with a package that has correct versions and dependancies until a
proper 1.5x GDAL turns up in hardy-proposed. This is what I did to get the
binary build mentioned in the beginning of this post.

One caveat, debian/ubuntu have different names for their current versions of
libxerces, so that might need to be changed in the debian/control file in the
sources dir if you want to make your own.