[gdal-dev] GDAL and strange HDF4 dataset.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 22 11:55:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Mario Cavicchi
<cavicchi at ferrara.linux.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a little problem with gdal_translate and HDF4.
>
> I have one particular dataset that if I try to extract a band with
> gdal_translate uses too much time.
> I tried to open this dataset with ENVI, and the time for opening is like for
> another dataset. Also with HDFview, the opening of the dataset is fast.
> I don't understand where this particular dataset is different to another
> dataset.In attachment of this mail the output of gdalinfo.
>
> Someone can help me?

Mario,

It would be helpful if you could provide a pointer to the dataset
you were using so we can download and try it.  Also, give the
exact gdal_translate command you were using, since a lot
depends on what subdatset name(s) you are using.

There are some bad performance behavior cases in the HDF
driver depending on the organization of the data, and pattern
of the reading.