[gdal-dev] (no subject)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 13 13:44:27 EST 2008

Sarah Mulholland wrote:
> I need to write multiple images to a NITF file.  I notice on the gdal
> NITF page that gdal only writes one image or raster of data to a file.
> On another page, I see that multiple images in a NITF can be read as
> subdatasets.  Is the documentation up to date that subdatasets in a NITF
> file are a read-only capability? In there any plan to allow the writing
> of subdatasets?

Sarah,

You are correct.  Currently the GDAL NITF writer is quite a bit less
flexible than the reader.  It does not support writing multi-image
files for instance.

> What’s the usual approach for writing multiple images to a NITF from C
> and python?  If not gdal, is there some other package that people use?
> I looked on the JITC web site, and it seems like most certified packages
> are parts of large systems, not just NITF libraries.

You might want to look into the NITF generation capabilities of OSSIM.

   http://www.ossim.org/

You also might want to look at NITRO-NITF

   http://nitro-nitf.sourceforge.net/

In particlar the NITRO-NITF library is focused on NITF support, and
appears to be fairly flexible though I haven't tried to use it myself
yet.  It might also be useful to the folks asking about TRE writing though
I hope to respond more directly to them soon.