[gdal-dev] Building with Visual Studio Express 2008

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 21 11:24:53 EST 2008

guillaume huby wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build GDAL 1.6.0 beta2  (same result with 1.5.3) with
> Visual Studio Express 2008.
>
> Everything went fine until I get this message :
>
>     vb6_support.cpp(35) : fatal error C1083: Impossible to open include
>     file : 'atlbase.h' : No such file or directory
>

> Looking on the web I fall on http://www.gdal.org/faq.html and "Can I
> build GDAL with MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition?".
>
> But the Microsoft SDK no longer provides ATL stuff, thus this trick is
> no longer valid.
>
> Has anybody successed building GDAL with Visual Studio Express 2008 ?
>
> Is ther some kown turnaround ?

Guillaume,

You need to alter MSVC_VER to be 1400 in gdal/nmake.opt.  Then the VB6 still
will be skipped.  Currently building the VB6 stuff with visual studio express.

I have made some updates to the FAQ to address this.  I note you ended up in
the old doxygen FAQ.  I have also deleted that since the official FAQ is now
the one in Trac which anyone can improve.