[gdal-dev] gdal 1.5.3 dependencies on Linux

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 24 11:05:18 EST 2008

Gong, Shawn (Contractor) wrote:
> hi list,
>
> I am building gdal 1.5.3 on Linux (RHEL).
>
> I build the dependencies as follows (this was what I used for gdal 1.4.0):
>
> 1) glib 1.2.10
>
> 2) gtk+ 1.2.10           # stay with gtk 1.3 now, I plan to upgrade to
> gtk 2 in near future
>
> 3) Mesa 5.0.2 (Mesalib only, no demo, no glut)
>
> 4) gtkglarea-1.2.2
>
> 5) python 2.5.2
>
> 6) pygtk-0.6.12
>
> 7) gtk+extra-0.99.17
>
> 8) python-gtkextra-0.22    # 6), 7) 8) are for gtk 1.3

Shawn,

The above are irrelevant for GDAL - they are OpenEV dependencies.

> 10) proj-4.4.7
>
> 11) gdal external format libraries
>
>  11a) zlib-1.2.3
>
>  11b) jpeg-6b
>
>  11c) szip-2.1
>
>  11d) HDF5
>
>  11e) HDF4
>
> 12) gdal-1.5.3 (w/ rsat2 driver from 1.6 beta)

The above should generally be fine, though you weren't specific
about versions.  You might want to keep an eye on the
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildHints for some details on
HDF4 and HDF5.

> Would someone confirm that the above dependencies are right?
>
> another question about gcc, I have been using
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.3, is it too old for gdal-1.5.3?

I am not aware of any specific dependencies on a libstdc++ version
in GDAL.  Generally the important thing is just to use the regular
versions that is associated with the g++ you are building with and
to avoid mixing or overriding.