[gdal-dev] OziExplorer (ozf2) Files with GDAL?

Tom Kazimiers 2voodoo at gmx.de
Fri Oct 3 07:14:10 EDT 2008

Oliver Eichler schrieb:
> On Friday, 3. October 2008 11:43:04 you wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:03:55 +0100, Oliver Eichler <oliver.eichler at gmx.de>
>>
> wrote:
>
>>> There is another converter:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ozi2geotiff
>>>
>> As far as I can tell this program just calls gdal_translate!
>> So if GDAL doesn't know how to unpack ozf files then how does it work?
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Hi Andrew,
>
> ask the author. He wanted to integrate ozi import in QLandkarte GT, but I
> rejected to keep QLandkarte GT free from possible proprietary format
> lawsuits. Thus he decided to do a script. As his usual work committed to
> QLandkarte GT is of a good quality, I assume this script is usable, too.
> Personally I do not use ozi files at all. You have to decide yourself if the
> software is good for you.
>
> AFAIK the ozi format is just referencing information to a bitmap stored in a
> known format like jpeg, png or tiff. Thus using gdal_translate is not that
> obscure to me.
>
> Oliver

Hi there,

I played around with the script and got at least to run and like Andrew
proposed the problem is:
GDALOpen failed - 4
`E:\\dev\\ozi2geotiff\\trunk\\test.ozf2' not recognised as a supported
file format.

The work on an ozf2 driver has already started. Oliver, as you mentioned
it, do you know if this could be a problem and if I should ask the
OziExplorer guys to allow me this?

Regards,
Tom