[gdal-dev] OziExplorer (ozf2) Files with GDAL?

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at gmx.de
Fri Oct 3 07:48:00 EDT 2008

> The work on an ozf2 driver has already started. Oliver, as you mentioned
> it, do you know if this could be a problem and if I should ask the
> OziExplorer guys to allow me this?

Hi,

I had problems with reengineering the GeoGrid format by EADS. They claim to
have an expired patent on this and thus a copyright on the format itself.
They closed 3 sites about their format by that. According to a German lawyer
converting their undocumented format with no encryption (!) is legal. However
the copyright holder of the content might object.

But EADS has the big money and a rather bored law department. And they want to
charge the user twice for their lousy format. Fighting their stupid claims
costs money and time. As QLandkarte GT is free open source in spirit and
beer, I won't take up the fight and so did all the others.

Ok, that is EADS. I don't know how Ozi thinks about it. And I do not want to
know it. QLandkarte GT is GeoTiff only. That's safe. For your commercial
product you might think different. And IMHO it's allways a good idea to ask.

Oliver