[gdal-dev] GDAL block cache question

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 9 14:32:56 EDT 2008

> "Luke Roth" <roth.luke at gmail.com> ha scritto:

>> wxWidgets for the GUI.  While I'm developing in Windows, the only
>> dependencies so far are wxWidgets and GDAL, so it should cross-compile
>> on Linux pretty easily.  As for the target imagery, I'm looking at
>> pretty large aerial and satellite images (DOQQs, MODIS tiles), which

Did you take a look at OSSIM? At some point in the past, they were
wx-based, though I don't know what they are up to now.

Also, SAGA-GIS is worth a look.

Have you considered wxPython? It may be that your core image processing
would need some C/C++, but there is no reason that the whole GUI has to
be written in C++ (at at least no performance reason).

>> It's unlikely that I'll be able to open
>> source the entire application, but I am thinking of releasing some of
>> the lower-level components.

That would be great. If you have a component that can deal with images
loaded with GDAL, and convert them to wxBitmaps or wxImages, or... I"d
be very interested. Particularly if those components were (or could be )
wrapped for wxPython.

>> open-source GIS packages out there (QGIS, MapWindow, uDig, GRASS,
>> etc.) but none of them completely suit the purposes of the project
>> that I'm working on,

no, I like QGIS a fair bit, but it really chokes when you hand it a
large image.

I'm doing similar stuff, and working on how to deal with large (though
probably not as large as you) images, though all in python/wxpython.

If you can release some of your work, I'd be very interested.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov