[gdal-dev] gdalwarp - Invalid Tiled GTiff

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 20:07:01 EDT 2008

Aaron Sutula wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am attempting to create a mosaic of elevation data I have stored as a
> bunch of geotiff files. I am trying this with gdalwarp from FWtools
> 2.0.6 (so there is bigtiff support). My approach is to gdalwarp one of
> the source geotiffs into an output geotiff  and specify that the output
> geotiff has a larger extent, my final extent for the mosaic. After that,
> I can gdalwarp the remaining source geotiffs into the first output geotiff.
> $ du merge18.tif
> 2111768    merge18.tif
>
> $ gdalinfo merge18.tif
> ERROR 4: `merge18.tif' not recognised as a supported file format.
> gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'merge18.tif'.

Aaron,

I think you are hitting the 2GB barrier.  A while ago we discovered the
logic for switching to the "large file api" which is necessary past 2GB
was not working properly in some unix and linux builds due to an unexpected
error code being returned from fopen().  This is exactly how it manifests.

Unfortunately there isn't a newer FWTools with the fix though the problem
is fixed.  If you can build from source yourself you should be ok.  Or
if you can keep the size a bit below 2GB you should be ok.