[gdal-dev] error using gdaltindex on grass rasters

Jamie Adams jaadfoo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:29:49 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I needed to create a shapefile index of all the rasters in a grass mapset so
I ran:

ls /grass/location/mapset/cellhd/* | xargs gdaltindex all.shp

and got this error:

Warning 1: GRASS warning: Unable to open datum table file
</usr/local/share/gdal/grass//etc/datum.table>
/usr/local/share/gdal/grass//etc/ellipse.table: No such file or directory
Warning 1: GRASS warning: Unable to open ellipsoid table file
</usr/local/share/gdal/grass//etc/ellipse.table>
Warning 1: GRASS fatal error: Invalid ellipsoid <wgs84> in file

I created a symlink 'grass' in /usr/local/share/gdal/ pointing to my grass
install root, and that seemed to fix the issue.

I built both gdal and grass from source, plus added gdal-grass read support
via http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GRASS.  Should gdaltindex work as-is, or
did I miss a step somewhere?

Thanks,

-Jamie