[gdal-dev] Datum transformation method when projecting from a sphere to NAD83 shapefile

Limei Ran lran at unc.edu
Tue Sep 9 12:57:30 EDT 2008

Hi Frank:

Thank you for your information.  Is any reason that PROJ4.6. or newer
does not do any datum transformation when going from LCC Sphere to NAD83
Albers?
We are using many shapefiles generated in arcGIS, GDAL or by other
tools.  We want to have the consistent shapefiles.  Could you tell me
which approach is correct or proper?

You are right about the difference.  We have GDAL1.5.0 compiled with
PROJ4.5 and GDAL1.5.2  compiled with PROJ4.6.  The projected shapefiles
using ogr2ogr from the two versions of GDAL do have quite big position
shiftings.

Thank you,

Limei