[gdal-dev] Error in libjasper.a during 'make' in gdal 1.5.2: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used

Steve Gaffigan gaffigan at sfos.uaf.edu
Fri Sep 12 12:20:16 EDT 2008

You want to build jasper with CFLAGS="-fPIC -m64", as you've done.  But
you just want CXXFLAGS="-m64", without "-fPIC", for the gdal build.  Be
sure to unset CFLAGS, or open a new terminal to get a fresh environment,
before gdal build.  Also, might need to run ldconfig after building
jasper, before gdal build.

  # cd jasper src dir
  export CFLAGS="-fPIC -m64"
  ./configure
  make; make install
  unset CFLAGS
  /sbin/ldconfig

  # cd gdal src dir
  export CXXFLAGS="-m64"
  ./configure ...
  make ...

Steve

>>Try rebuilding jasper as:
>>  export CFLAGS="-fPIC"
>>  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>>  make; make install
>>  unset CFLAGS
>>Then rebuild gdal as usual.
>>On our 64-bit systems we also compile gdal and related libraries (geos,
jasper, etc.) with "-m64" in the compiler flags environment variable
(CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for jasper and geos/gdal, respectively).  Not sure
>> if
>>you'll need to do this.
>>Good luck.
>>Steve
>
> Thanks for the hints. I tried rebuilding jasper with CFLAGS="-fPIC -m64"
and rebuilding gdal with CXXFLAGS="-fPIC -m64", with no luck; the failed
output from the gdal build is below.

> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libstdc++.a(functexcept.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
against `vtable for std::exception' can not be used when making a shared
object; recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [libgdal.la] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gdal-1.5.2'
> make: *** [check-lib] Error 2
>
> Curious how it is prompting recompiling with -fPIC, as I've done that.
Any