[gdal-dev] pct2rgb.py: files >4GB

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 11:19:40 EDT 2008

Sven Geggus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got some trouble using pct2rgb.py:
>
> pct2rgb.py <in>.tif <out>.tif
> ERROR 6: A 81408 pixels x 58368 lines x 3 bands Byte image would be
> larger than 4GB but this is the largest size a TIFF can be.  Creation failed.
>
> Unfortunately the -of switch does not change this:
>
> pct2rgb.py -of hfa <in>.tif <out>.img
> ERROR 6: A 81408 pixels x 58368 lines x 3 bands Byte image would be
> larger than 4GB but this is the largest size a TIFF can be.  Creation failed.
>
> Any hint on how to convert the file to rgb in another way?

Sven,

You might want to edit pct2rgb.py and change this line:

if format == 'GTiff':

to:

if format == 'GTiff' or format == 'HFA':

and see if that works.

Alternatively, get a GDAL build with BigTIFF support.  It would appear
you have either an old GDAL or a new GDAL with an old (pre libtiff4)
version of libtiff that does not support bigtiff.