[gdal-dev] Reading/Interpreting multi band Tiffs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 14:28:13 EDT 2008

Tom Kazimiers wrote:
>> There is also a RasterIO() method on the Dataset which allows
>> fetching all the bands in one request.  In C++ this is:
>>
>> http://www.gdal.org/classGDALDataset.html#e077c53268d2272eebed10b891a05743

> thank you very much - this was what I was looking for. Unfortunately I
> need to write Data in the form Band3, Band2, Band1, Band3, Band2, Band1,
> ... (BGR)
> Like you have said, the reading is sequential and it was not very hard
> to get it working with a result of the form Band1, Band2, Ban3, Band1,
> Band2, Band3, ... (RGB)
> Is there a way to change the order of the bands so that I can use this
> function (alternatively I could write a fast switch function, sure - but
> it would be nicer to have it all in one function)? With three seperate
> calls to the per-raster-band-RasterIO I can controle everything pretty
> good, but it seems that the per-dataset-RasterIO is faster (maybe
> illusion :P).

Tom,

To read or write from a BGR buffer you can either passing the band
list reversed (ie. panBandMap is {3,2,1}) or fudze with the
pixelspace, linespace and bandspace values to simulate the reverse.

Sometimes dataset level io will be faster but often it is internally
implemented by calling band level io.