[gdal-dev] Is it possible to Buffer using ogr2ogr?

Pinner, Luke Luke.Pinner at environment.gov.au
Thu Apr 23 01:14:33 EDT 2009

Something like the following might get you started (note: limited testing and I'm no programmer :)

#buffer.py
import sys,os
from osgeo import ogr

def buffer(infile,outfile,buffdist):
    try:
        ds=ogr.Open(infile)
        drv=ds.GetDriver()
        if os.path.exists(outfile):
            drv.DeleteDataSource(outfile)
        drv.CopyDataSource(ds,outfile)
        ds.Destroy()

        ds=ogr.Open(outfile,1)
        lyr=ds.GetLayer(0)
        for i in range(0,lyr.GetFeatureCount()):
            feat=lyr.GetFeature(i)
            lyr.DeleteFeature(i)
            geom=feat.GetGeometryRef()
            feat.SetGeometry(geom.Buffer(float(buffdist)))
            lyr.CreateFeature(feat)
        ds.Destroy()
    except:return False
    return True

if __name__=='__main__':
    if len(sys.argv) == 4:
        if buffer(sys.argv[1],sys.argv[2],sys.argv[3]):
            print 'Buffer succeeded!'
            sys.exit(0)
        else:
            print 'Buffer failed!'