[gdal-dev] CPPFLAGS?

jim hopper JAMES.E.HOPPER at saic.com
Wed Aug 5 12:13:32 EDT 2009

I was trying to build gdal and noticed that setting CFLAGS is not enough as
you also need CPPFLAGS for the c++ code, fair enough.  But some places (the
one I found is in gcore and frmts/ilwis) this is not handled correctly.  In
gcore this appears correct

CPPFLAGS    :=    $(GDAL_INCLUDE) $(CPPFLAGS) $(PAM_SETTING)

However,  this isnt used in the GNUMakefile instead its CXXFLAGS that is
used in the make as shown below, shouldn't that be CPPFLAGS?

gdaldrivermanager.o:    gdaldrivermanager.cpp ../GDALmake.opt
    $(CXX) -c $(GDAL_INCLUDE) $(CXXFLAGS) -DINST_DATA=\"$(INST_DATA)\" \
        $*.cpp -o $*.o

There appear to other places that use CXXFLAGS

 frmts/GNUmakefile
 frmts/grib/GNUmakefile
frmts/grib/GNUmakefile
frmts/grib/GNUmakefile
frmts/grib/GNUmakefile
frmts/jp2kak/GNUmakefile
frmts/sdts/GNUmakefile
gcore/GNUmakefile
 port/GNUmakefile
 pymod/GNUmakefile

In iLwin CPPFLAGS ignores the existing CPPFLAGS and sets it like this:

CPPFLAGS    =    $(GDAL_INCLUDE)

Shouldn't this be

CPPFLAGS    :=    $(GDAL_INCLUDE) $(CPPFLAGS)

Best jim