[gdal-dev] WMS problem

Michele Zanin miczanin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 10:33:45 EST 2009

Dear friends,
   I'm playing with the WMS format from GDAL (svn version, 18323).
Please note it's my first try with WMS, so it is possible i'm missing
something important.

I discovered some inconsistencies about documentation and actual
parameters for the xml config file.

In the official documentation http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html , the
layer is selected with the <Layers> tag.

_ the TileService mini-driver requires <Dataset> (undocumented)
_ the WorldWind mini-driver requires <Layer> (without the 's', undocumented).

The affected files are:
./frmts/wms/minidriver_worldwind.cpp
./frmts/wms/minidriver_tileservice.cpp

Also, after some try&error (mainly caused by the fact that the right
SizeX and SizeY are not derivable from GetCapabilities) I came up with
some working xml config files for accessing interesting WMS (e.g. US
topo from terraservice, PCN for Italy, BlueMarbleNG worldwind).
I think someone else did the same effort in the past and someone else
will do it in the future. In order to avoid other people to waste
their time, I think we could create a repository of tested config
file, maybe in the same http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html page. What
do you think? I'd like to share my files.

Thank you for your attention,
michele